Thursday, July 17, 2008

Live Again - Thursday at the Fitz.

So the wife and kids are in Menorca for a week so I got to play another live tourney. I've cashed my last 3 Live Tourneys - CHLs in March where I chopped 4 ways, the IO side event (scalps €270 + €30) where I got 27th for €450 I think plus 5 scalps to bring it up to €600 and last Friday's CHLs which I chopped for €1100. So I'm feeling pretty immortal and like it's my right to make the FT.

The game is 4k 4k double chance with a 20 min clock for 3 levels going to 25 thereafter. There were 50+ runners and the buyin in €95 + €5.

Had a crap start unfortunately and this was compounded by the fact that the guy to my right doubled up early then did it again before the 2nd level. My 4k went to 3k so I took my second stack early.

The table downstairs, where I was for most of the night, was one of the weakest I'd ever played at. I got no hands of note at all before the break but kept my stack average with lots of easy pre and post flop stealing. AidanKK was at my table along with Fitz regular Paddy.

With effectively an 8k starting stack this is in fact quite a good deep tourney. The antes are introduced at the 150/300 level. I continued nicking small pots and the only hand I actually got worth a mention was KK at the 300/600 level and all I got was the blinds.

When we got to the 500 / 1000 (100) level there were about 18 left. It was not enough to steal blinds. Luckily I started to pick up a few cards.

Got AK in MP and put in the standard table raise which was called by the BB only. Flop came AKrag with 2 clubs. He led for 4k. I had 18k behind and he had 13k. I really couldnt decide what the best play was. I had no worries about the clubs but I couldn't figure out how to get all his chips. I had delayed at this stage too long so I decided to shove hoping he read me for a steal but alas he folded after a bit of a dwell.

Minutes later I got involved in a hand oop. Ive AKspades and raise standard. Guy to my left is shortish and flat calls. Flop comes J94 no spades. I check to re-evaluate and he bets small. I think he stealing so I shove with plenty of FE. He dwells and eventually calls with KJ and I get no help. Suddenly in a bit of danger.

15 left and I pick up 99 in LP. Shortie in EP raises to 3k (still at 500/1k). He's been raising with rags all night. I shove to isolate and he calls off another 7 bbs with QT and MHIG. Back into saftey zone.

Go card dead again till we reach the FT bubble. I'm moved upstairs. 5 hands later the FT bubble bursts and I draw seat 3 for the FT. Blinds will re-commence at 800/1500/100 and my stack is down to 18k. Two 50k+ stacks, one about 40k and the rest are struggling. It's only paying 7. Someone suggests a money back deal for 8 and 9 (which I abstained on) but 1 lad refuses.

So away we go. 1 orbit of the table and I've nothing but rags then this happens:

UTG (one of the big stacks) makes it 4k. Shortie to my right shoves for 10k. I look down at the hooks. This is my biggest weakness, without thinking it through I shove my 16.5k. 40k stack on the button shoves also and the OR gets out of the way. Shortie shows QQ and button has AA. No help for anyone on the board and I'm 8th, right on the money bubble.

In hind-sight this is a terrible play. If I stopped to think it through I would have laid them down all day every day. It's such a bad move having played good poker for 6 hours! I tried to justify it on the way home by saying "Ah sure you only wanted top 3" but this is non-sense.

On a pleasant note I had a pint at the break and Luke and all the CHL crew were there.

Anyway, its 3 am. I'm picking the wife and kids up at midday provided the fckuing radars are working at Dublin airport. I really can't wait to see them all, being without them for a week reminds me not to take themfor granted which we I think I sometimes do.

No comments: