Wednesday, July 16, 2008

4 Years of Poker in a single post

I remember about 4 years ago stumbling upon a link to a poker site called "Golden Palace Poker". They used the old Tribecca network. At that time I had become hooked on Channel 4's "Late Night Poker". Devilfish was my hero (how sad I was then) although I was beginning to think Surrinda Singh was a better player.

I signed up straight away and that put an end to my Counter-Strike career. I wasn't too bad messing around in those days at micro-limits. Every so often I qualified for their massive weekly $7,500 guaranteed and once in a while made it to the monthly $50k. How times have changed.

My younger sister Nikki used to play a teeny bit of poker (family home games) so I got her hooked. Then of course Paddy Power came on the market. She was working for Nestle in HR and decided for the craic to apply for their on-line poker manager job. Now you know a little more about PPPBoss "Nikki"!

When they were testing the site pre-launch I got a free $20 to give them feed-back. I spun that up to $1.5k over 2 years (lol, micro levels) and never put a penny into the account. As soon as PPP migrated to iPoker I lost the lot! When Nikki left PPP so did I. I never intended to play iPoker again but the Boyle Poker guys put together some offer and I stuck €200 in about 2 months ago. I'm still using that but mainly for the fun of short-stacking uber-tight omaha.

I mainly play Poker Stars (MTTs only) and OPR has me with $2.5k winnings representing an ROI of -45%. As you probably know I love the Sunday Million and if not for that I might even be ahead.

I love the live game. Notable results to date are a second in one of the Fitz Friday Scalps games, a second in one of JPs deep-stacks, a pot for the chip lead in the SE EOM (€250 Buy in 100+ runners) with 6 left that I lost to Flushdraw (his 99 dogging my KK), Chopping CHLs last ever tourney and a cash in the IO scalps game at Easter (which propelled me onto the Hendon-mob database!).

All modesty aside, my live game is not bad. With 3 kids under 6 it's next to impossible to get out more then once a month and there's never a chance of playing in any of the multi-day tourneys which in due course I intend to rectify.

I'm planning to do some tourney specific posts with the intention of shoring up my game, particularly exit hands. Any comments would be appeciated.

3 comments:

Fatboydim said...

Good Luck with this. Give my regards to Nikki.

And erm... My name came from my Counterstrike days. I was notorious for hiding when the sniper's were about. LOL

smurph said...

good luck with the new blog,

smurph

30something said...

Thanks for that. I was "Private Piles" in my Counter-strike days.